5th Annual Detroit Windsor International Film Festival Showcases Michigan Movie Makers

This weekend marks the fifth annual Detroit Windsor International Film Festival. Events began this past Wednesday and run through Sunday.

Suzanne Janik is the Director of Operations for the festival. She said that about 30% of the films shown will be Michigan made. The remaining 70% includes films from all over the world, including Australia, Japan, Germany, and Switzerland.

“It’s a broad range of everything, silent, experimental, dramas, comedies,” said Janik. “We have tons of movies to meet everyone’s tastes.”

The festival takes place in a number of buildings on the Wayne State University campus in Detroit.

Festivals like DWIFF offer under-the-radar filmmakers the opportunity to show their work to large audiences. Janik said that DWIFF’s proudest moments are when filmmakers who have submitted in years past go on to successful careers in the industry.

Not only does DWIFF show independent and student films, the festival features a Tech Fair every year. There, festival-goers can attend panels and exhibitions on film-making techniques such as screen writing, special effects make-up, and storyboards.

“Besides movies, it’s the most popular event,” said Janik. “There are always people interested in those jobs.”

The tech fair is free and open to the public.

The Detroit Windsor International Film Festival is a festival that caters to filmmakers, people who want to be filmmakers, and people who just appreciate film.

“It’s a chance for Michigan filmmakers to show their work to a greater audience, to network, and to see what other people are doing,” said Janik.

For a full schedule and ticket information, please visit the Detroit Windsor International Film Festival website.

 

 

This article brought to you by the good folks at Urbane Apartments Royal Oak Michigan, Urbane Apartments Ferndale Michigan,Urbane Apartments Birmingham Michigan, and Urbane Apartments Dearborn Michigan

Mike G

Mike G

Mike G is a songwriter and local musician, freelance writer, baseball enthusiast, lover of travel, and a terrible mechanic. When MJ graduated from Central Michigan University with a degree in Creative Writing, he was immediately barraged with 'questions' of "What are you gonna do, teach?" He is determined to not get a job teaching. So far, so good. With music, MJ's traveled the country touring on his songs. Having spent time in places from Chicago to Seattle, LA to New Orleans, and Nashville to NYC, he is convinced that Detroit and its 'burbs have the the highest concentration of 'native' songwriting talent anywhere. Eat it, New York. You too, LA. MJ started writing for the Urbane Life in the summer of 2011. He also writes for a handful of other websites as well as an immigration lawyer. He used to work in a publishing house. He's glad he's out. 

Tags:

  • Travis

    “CUT, PRINT”; A group of
    ambitious filmmakers set out to make the world’s first reality horror movie.
    Their plan is simple. Get footage from an active serial killer of his murders
    and expose him in a documentary gaining them world fame in the process.

    See the full trailer
    here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VilHVu3T41g

    Follow us on twitter: @cut_print

    Or Like us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cutprintmovie?ref=hl